Friday, June 10, 2011

5 minute makeover

When I was in Moscow a few weeks ago I picked up this painting at the Salvation Army for 50 cents.



It's a replica of an 18th century painting by Canaletto. And it was so cheap that I just had to grab it. When I got home I went to our nearby Goodwill (it's actually titled a Goodwill Superstore, and for good reason, the place is MASSIVE) and found this framed painting.



Sorry, my computer refused to rotate the picture. The artwork is kinda dated, but the frame was perfect, and it was a mere $6.99.




So I brought it home, took out the old artwork, popped in my Canaletto painting, sanded the edges to make it more shabby chic (and remove some ugly yellow paint stains), and voila!




We now have a new piece of artwork for our bedroom. And I had just the wall to put it on.





Gotta love $7.50 art!


(PS- I'm pretty sure that painting was once in a calendar or art book or something because the back of it had a whole spiel about the author. Just goes to show you can make art from pretty much anything!)

No comments: